NUMBER OF VACANCIES: 32
DURATION: July 3, 2018 – August 31, 2018 (9 weeks)
DAYS: Monday - Friday
COMPENSATION: $14.00 per hour + 4% vacation
- Pickering (Claremont, Highbush, Valley Farm)
- Ajax (Applecroft, Cadarackque, Lincoln Alexander, Roland Michener)
- Whitby (Brooklin Village, Glen Dhu, John Dryden, Julie Payette, Ormiston, Sinclair)
- Oshawa (Stephen Saywell)
CLOSING DATE: March 30, 2018 (no later than 3:00 pm)
OVERVIEW OF THE ORGANIZATION
Schoolhouse Playcare Centres is a non-profit, charitable organization. As a non-profit, charitable organization, Schoolhouse Playcare Centres is accountable for ensuring that we invest our revenue into the primary activities of our organization (delivering quality early learning and child care programs) and that we are prudent in the use of our financial resources. We do not exist with a primary goal to make a profit and if we do earn a profit, we re-invest it into the needs, the activities and the overall betterment of the organization. Schoolhouse Playcare maintains the belief that it is ethically and morally wrong to make a profit at the expense of children and families.
Are you a student looking for an opportunity to build your career over the summer? Are you passionate about making a difference in the lives of children?
We are looking for fun and outgoing Summer Students to fill the position of Student Assistant – Child Care. Our Summer Student Assistants are an important addition to the summer program – you will help create an amazing experience for the children!
If you are fun, friendly and self-motivated with excellent communication skills, then this is the position for you! This is an ideal opportunity for students and recent graduates looking to get hands-on experience in careers such as teaching, child care, and recreation. You will work collaboratively with other members of the team to implement programmes, maintain safe environments, work collaboratively with families and the community, maintain professional relationships and adhere to all regulations that pertain to the delivery of licensed child care. You will gain valuable leadership and team-building skills working with our professional staff of Child Care Educators.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE:
Current College/university/high school students who are studying and returning to school full time in September 2018 in child related fields that include but are not limited to: Early Childhood Education, Teaching, Nursing, Child & Youth Work, Developmental Service work, Child Psychology, Parks and Recreation, etc. and you love to work with children!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Create a fun and positive rapport with children.
- Supervise children during summer programs.
- Assist in keeping children focused during each activity.
- Lead and manage groups of children in an orderly, safe manner.
- Help with safety protocols and child care centre rules.
- Supervise children during breaks, meals and recreational activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Reliable, friendly, fun, caring, patient and committed to providing an exceptional experience for our children.
- Experience working in a group setting with children between the ages of infants – 12 years. You will be assisting the Child Care Educators with various activities; training will be provided.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have First Aid and CPR Level C
All students are required to obtain their police check with the vulnerable sector check as it's required in Ontario for anyone working with children.
Schoolhouse Playcare is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applicants need to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance by contacting Human Resources.