Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham (SPC) is committed to respecting the privacy of clients and will act responsibly in the collection, handling, and storage of personal information. Personal data is collected to better meet clients’ needs, ensure safety, inform clients of service information and to comply with government and/or regulatory requirements.
This policy explains the types of customer personal information we collect, how it is used, and the steps we take to ensure personal information is handled appropriately.
Our policies and practices have been designed to comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
What is personal information?
Personal information is information that refers to an identifiable individual specifically and is recorded in any form. Personal information includes such things as age, income, date of birth, ethnic origin, medical records, and credit records. Information about individuals contained in the following documents is not considered personal information:
- public telephone directories, where the subscriber can refuse to be listed
- professional and business directories available to the public
- certain public registries and court records
- any other publicly available printed and electronic publications
Our commitment to protecting privacy is governed by the following core privacy principles:
We are accountable to you
Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham is responsible for all personal information under its control, including any personal information that is transferred to third parties for processing, storage, or other purposes. All our employees are accountable to comply with these privacy and security principles.
We let you know why we collect your personal information
Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham identifies the purpose for which personal information is collected. We do this before or at the time the information is being collected.
We obtain your consent to collect, use or disclose your personal information
Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham obtains consent to collect, use or disclose personal information. The method of obtaining consent is appropriate to the type of personal information being collected, used, or disclosed.
Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham will obtain expressed consent (verbal, written or electronic agreement) to collect, use or disclose sensitive personal information such as personal financial information, except where justified for the purpose of collection of overdue accounts as identified in the Personal Information Protection Act section 3(b). We limit collection of personal information
Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham collects only the information required to provide services. If the personal information we require is collected for a reason other than to provide services, consent will be obtained before or at the time the information is collected.
Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham will collect personal information only by clear, fair and lawful means.
Examples of why we collect personal information include:
- Informing clients of service information/ensuring regular communication
- Recommending services that Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham believes will be of interest and provide value to clients
- Processing applications and/or childcare registration forms
- Ensuring the health and safety of clients is being upheld
- Collection and processing of childcare fees, keeping track of transactions and reporting back to clients
- Complying with government and/or regulatory requirements
- Protecting against fraud or error
We limit use, disclosure, and retention of your personal information
Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham uses and discloses personal information only for the purposes it was collected. Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham does not sell or rent personal information to any organization or person for any reason. We do not share personal information with third party organizations except to offer a service. If personal information is shared with third parties, these third parties are bound by appropriate agreements with Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham to secure and protect the confidentiality of personal information. Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham retains personal information only as long as it is required for our business relationship or as required by federal and provincial laws.
We keep your personal information up to date and accurate
Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham keeps personal information up to date, accurate and relevant for its intended use. Clients may request access to the personal information we have on record to review and amend the information, as appropriate. In circumstances where personal information has been provided by a third party, we will refer you to that party (i.e. credit bureaus).
The security of your personal information is a priority for Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham
We take steps to safeguard your personal information, regardless of the format in which it is held, including:
- physical security measures such as restricted access facilities and locked filing cabinets
- electronic security measures for computerized personal information such as password protection, database encryption and personal identification numbers
- organizational processes such as limiting access to personal information to a selected group of individuals, contractual obligations with third parties who need access personal information requiring them to protect and secure your personal information.
We are committed to providing information about our policy and practices related to management of personal information. This policy and any related information are available by visiting our website at www.schoolhouseplaycare.ca or by contacting us at (905) 728-7740.