Location Various Locations (Claremont, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa, Brooklin)
Work Term: Various
Program: Infant to School Age
Compensation $18.15/hour inclusive of Provincial Wage Enhancement Grant or dependent upon current level within Schoolhouse
Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham is a non-profit licensed childcare operator serving children from 0 – 12 years of age across Durham Region. We offer full-day child care, before and after-school programs, non-instructional school day programming and licensed summer camps. We believe that children and their families deserve high-quality learning environments that are responsive to the children’s interests and unique needs. We promote an environment of respect and celebrate the rich diversity of the children, their families, and our employees. We believe that open communication, meaningful interactions, and respectful behaviour build positive relationships and support collaboration. We are committed to working in partnership with others to support our children, their families, and our employees in reaching their full potential.
If you are looking to have a positive impact in the lives of children in a FUN active environment, we look forward to hearing from you!
Reporting to the Supervisor of Child Care, you will plan and implement a variety of fun, safe, engaging and developmentally appropriate experiences for newborn to school age children. Programs will be intentionally designed to support the growth of children while helping them reach their full potential.
- Assist the Registered Early Childhood Educator in providing a challenging and rewarding experience in an environment that supports each child’s unique needs and strengths.
- Recognizes the uniqueness and interests of all children and youth and assists them to successfully achieve their goals
- Plans, prepares, and executes a variety of fun, developmentally appropriate activities/experiences each day
- Adheres to the program structure and guidelines as outlined during orientation and by the Supervisor
- Fully and enthusiastically participates in all program activities including special events
- Communicates professionally with colleagues, families, partners, and other SPC employees
- Ensures family inquiries and concerns are shared with the Supervisor to ensure prompt, professional follow up
- Attends and fully participates in all employee orientation, training and meetings as outlined by the Supervisor
- Acts as a positive role model and reflects the values of the organization
The Ideal Candidate – Professional Attributes
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent planning and program facilitation skills
- Ability to develop rapport, meet the individual needs of children and positively manage group behaviour
- Excellent collaboration and team skills
- Strong verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Effective conflict resolution and problem-solving skills
- Professional work ethic and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Enthusiastic, positive and fun
The Ideal Candidate – Qualifications, Education and Experience
- High School Diploma, and a minimum of 18 years old (18 years as mandated by the CCEYA)
- Valid up to date Standard First Aid with CPR C (prior to the start of contract)
- Experience working with children within a recreational or licensed childcare setting
- Experience planning and executing play-based, experiential activities for children Infant to Schoolage
- Solid understanding of child development and ability to effectively respond to individual/unique needs
- Experience and ability to work with families within a recreational or licensed childcare setting
What we offer our employees:
- A very competitive wage and benefit package.
- Permanent employees receive a 20% discount.
- Permanent employees start with 6% (3 weeks) vacation accumulation, 3 floater days and accumulate 10 sick days per year (but are not paid out)
- Benefits are offered to permanent part time (17.5 hours per week) and full-time employees, and the premiums are employer paid.
- Professional growth and development with regular performance appraisals.
- We encourage ongoing employee growth and development.
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter and resume and internal applicants include a Performance Overview completed by your Supervisor to Ruth Patterson, Director of Programs via e-mail to email@example.com Please indicate that you are applying for “Childcare Assistant” and include your preferred Municipality.
We thank everyone who has submitted their applications; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Offers of employment are contingent upon a valid Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening issued within 6 months of the date of hire.
Schoolhouse Playcare is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applicants need to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org