Work Term: Contract - Part time (10 hours – 20 hours per week)
Program: Preschool to Schoolage
Salary: $16.07/hour, PCCWE $2.00/hour, plus 4% vacation pay
Location: Altona Forest, Blair Ridge, Brooklin Village, Claremont, Highbush, Stephen Saywell
Start Date: September 3, 2019
The Program Assistant is primarily responsible for supporting the integration and inclusion of children with special needs into the child care program, but also in supporting the overall learning and care of all children in the program. The Program Assistant will assist and support the inclusion of children with special needs, maintain safe environments, work collaboratively with families and the community, maintain professional relationships, uphold professional standards and adhere to all regulations that pertain to the delivery of licensed child care.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Registered Early Childhood Educator in providing a challenging and rewarding experience in an environment that supports each child’s unique needs and strengths
- Facilitate daily experiences for children that promotes each child’s physical, emotional, cognitive, social and creative development, using applicable observation tools
- Ensure a safe, secure and nurturing environment
- Facilitate daily experiences for children that promote their development
- Treat all children and families with respect
- Provide positive reinforcement and encouragement to help children develop positive self-esteem, pride, respect and an understanding of both themselves and others
- Commitment to further the development and implementation of an emergent curriculum program and maintaining a professional environment
- Active physical engagement with children indoors/outdoors
- Ability to lift children up to approximately 45 lbs.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with parents, colleagues and children
- Enthusiasm and initiative a must
- Knowledge in emergent curriculum is an asset
- Previous experience in a licensed child care program, specifically with schoolage children is an asset
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR Level C training
We will require a current First Aid and CPR – level C, along with a TB Test and Criminal Check, both obtained within the last 6 months before you begin your employment with us.
Schoolhouse Playcare is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applicants need to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance by contacting Human Resources.