Position: CHILDCARE ASSISTANT
Work Term: Contract/Full time/Part time
Location: Claremont (Markham/Stouffville, Uxbridge), Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Brooklin, Oshawa
OVERVIEW OF THE ORGANIZATION
Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham is a non-profit child care organization offering child care services to children from 0 – 12 years of age, in schools across Durham Region. We believe that children and their families deserve programs that reflect high quality, and that provide enriching experiences that are responsive to the children’s interests and needs. We believe that children are unique, and as such our environments are inclusive and reflect the diversity of the children, their families, and our employees. We believe that open communication, meaningful interactions and respectful behaviour build positive relationships and support collaboration. We are committed to working in partnership with others to support our children, their families and our employees in reaching their full potential.
The Child Care Assistant is responsible for supporting the Early Childhood Educator in the overall learning and care of the children in the program. The Child Care Assistant will work collaboratively with the Early Childhood Educator to develop and implement programs, maintain safe environments, work collaboratively with families and the community, maintain professional relationships, uphold professional standards and adhere to all regulations that pertain to the delivery of licensed child care.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Registered Early Childhood Educator in providing a challenging and rewarding experience in an environment that supports each child’s unique needs and strengths.
- Ensure a safe, secure and nurturing environment.
- Work as a partner with parent’s in their children’s care.
- Treat all children and families with respect.
- Provide positive reinforcement and encouragement to help children develop positive self-esteem, pride, respect and an understanding of both themselves and others.
- Commitment to further the development and implementation of an emergent curriculum program.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with parents, colleagues and children.
- Enthusiasm and initiative a must.
- Knowledge in emergent curriculum is an asset.
- Previous experience in a licensed child care program, specifically with kindergarten/schoolage children is an asset.
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR Level C training.
Why Join Our Team?
- Opportunities for Career Advancement & Promotion
- Employer-Paid Benefits Program
- Employee Floater Days, start with 15 paid vacation days each year and 10 paid sick days to balance your work and home life
- Ability to transfer to other locations across Durham
- Discounted child care services for your children
Schoolhouse Playcare is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applicants need to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance by contacting Human Resources.