Position: Program Assistant - RFECY (Resource for Exceptional Children and Youth)
Work Term: Contract - Part time
Program: Preschool to School Age
Salary: $16.07/hour plus 4% vacation pay
Location: Claremont (Markham/Stouffville, Uxbridge), Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Brooklin
OVERVIEW OF THE ORGANIZATION
Schoolhouse Playcare Centres of Durham is a non-profit child care organization offering child care services to children from 0 – 12 years of age, in schools across Durham Region. We believe that children and their families deserve programs that reflect high quality, and that provide enriching experiences that are responsive to the children’s interests and needs. We believe that children are unique, and as such our environments are inclusive and reflect the diversity of the children, their families, and our employees. We believe that open communication, meaningful interactions and respectful behaviour build positive relationships and support collaboration. We are committed to working in partnership with others to support our children, their families and our employees in reaching their full potential.
The Program Assistant is primarily responsible for supporting the integration and inclusion of children with special needs into the child care program, but also in supporting the overall learning and care of all children in the program. The Program Assistant will assist and support the inclusion of children with special needs, maintain safe environments, work collaboratively with families and the community, maintain professional relationships, uphold professional standards and adhere to all regulations that pertain to the delivery of licensed child care.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Registered Early Childhood Educator in providing a challenging and rewarding experience in an environment that supports each child’s unique needs and strengths
- Facilitate daily experiences for children that promotes each child’s physical, emotional, cognitive, social and creative development, using applicable observation tools
- Ensure a safe, secure and nurturing environment
- Facilitate daily experiences for children that promote their development
- Treat all children and families with respect
- Provide positive reinforcement and encouragement to help children develop positive self-esteem, pride, respect and an understanding of both themselves and others
- Commitment to further the development and implementation of an emergent curriculum program and maintaining a professional environment
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with parents, colleagues and children
- Enthusiasm and initiative a must
- Knowledge in emergent curriculum is an asset
- Previous experience in a licensed child care program, specifically with Schoolage children is an asset
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR Level C training
Schoolhouse Playcare is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applicants need to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance by contacting Human Resources.